85 Unique Argumentative Essay Topics and How to pick One
Argumentative essays certainly are a means of proving an argument valid, hence turning theory in to fact. It is visible if the writer has spent time developing their argument. Experienced writers build their very own set of axioms to maximize clear delivery. The validity of any argument relies on its source material. Simple problems may need a far more straightforward approach. When you're tackling controversial matters, it's best to use plenty of sources for backup.
What Is an Argumentative Essay?
An argumentative essay is a form of academic paper that introduces arguments (claims) about both sides of a particular topic. Both teams could be balanced, or it's possible to be dominating. The tone of the paper is dependent upon the writer’s position towards the observed issue.
The principal function of an argumentative paper would be to introduce a case to the readers in a convincing manner trying to change their opinions if they have a position not the same as the writer’s. The idea would be to show the entire picture.
Experts tend to highlight three types of argumentative writing:
- Toulmin model
This paper will be needing an intro with a thesis statement followed by back ground information supported by evidence collected from sources. A writer will need to list the causes to support the central argument & rebuttals.
- Rogerian model
Unlike the previous one, this type of argumentative paper requires weighing both alternatives, listing the good qualities & cons of each, and providing an item of advice after in-depth evaluation.
- Classical model
The writer needs to introduce the matter, offer a personal solution, and make an endeavor to persuade the audience that this particular solution could be the correct one. The concept is to make the readers care about the suggested topic.
Just how to Pick Out the great Argumentative Essay Topics
Finding Good Topics for an argumentative essay isn’t finding a needle in a haystack - as long as you take the time to follow several core axioms.
Many controversial argumentative essay topics are prone to prejudice. They often have an unconscious aim to prove already assumed facts. When writing an essay, it is usually crucial to comprehend both sides. Try selecting a neutral topic to that you simply are mostly indifferent.
The essential tips to follow while selecting the suggestions to discuss in your work are:
- Think about issues of your interest. Make certain you possess in-depth knowledge of the chosen theme. Can you express the opinion about it?
- Follow the recent trends. Type some key words in the search field of Google Trends to discover what dilemmas related to your subject are actively discussed.
- Check access to primary & secondary sources. Browse the net to decide whether you can obtain enough credible sources to utilize in your piece.
- Avoid themes with a broad/general focus. How many words or pages limits the research paper, so make the topic narrow & specific.
- Stay away from the emotionally-charged subjects. Argumentative writing is approximately staying calm and sober with judgments.
- Consider the target audience. Think of people that you want to reach. Would they accept your viewpoint or wouldn't it result in a debate?
- Brainstorm the final list of ideas. Discuss the final listing of the possible topics. Find the idea most will vote for.
- Take a risk. Picking out a debatable issue has certain risks, but if a writer proves your own position, it's going to result in the greatest grade!
- Take your experience into account. How well which are the topic? Did you have a relevant experience to talk about?
Tip from EssayPro Expert: “It is recommended that the writer should possess a pursuit in the niche they cover, but the argument should not be the one that they accept as the truth. ”
Easy Argumentative Essay Topics
You will find topics which can be discussed and debated daily. It is not uncommon that most of these are barred from classrooms being cliche. If you believe you have some fresh insights on the matter, attempt to convince your teacher in to letting you do it.
- Should Guns Be Legal?
- Should Marijuana Be Legal?
- Should Abortion Be Legal?
- Should Gay Marriage Be Legal?
- Should 'They' Lower the Drinking Age?
Teachers engage middle-schoolers in the debate to offer them an insight in to high-school level writing. These middle school argumentative essay topics frequently discuss the fairness of school rules and alternative curriculums.
- Should Schools Have Dress Codes?
- Should Teachers Assign Less Homework?
- Is Music Class Necessary?
- Real School vs. Homeschool.
- How Important Is Arts Education?
Argumentative essays are most rewarding in senior high school and are a lesson in seeing all sides of the spectrum. Here are some common argumentative essay topics for high school.
- Should High School Students Be Drug Tested?
- Banning Classical Literature Containing Offensive Language in School.
- What Is The Greatest Invention of All Time?
- Should Clothes Define Who You Are?
- Should Sex Education Appear in School Curriculums?
Argumentative Essay Topics for College
Did you know Barack Obama only finished paying his student loans in the second year of his presidency? The worthiness of university degrees has been questioned now more than ever. Argumentative essay topics for university require focus on details of contemporary life.
- When Do Halloween Costumes Become Over-The-Top?
- Should Companies Collect Personal Data of Users?
- When Does Comedy Become Over-The-Top or Offensive?
- What Does the faculty Admissions Scandal Reveals About Society?
- How Close Are We to the ‘Black Mirror’?
- For or Against Allowing Students to Carry Guns to Academy.
- Are Schools Carrying out a Good Job at Addressing Cyberbullying?
- Should School Newspapers Get Reviewed Before Publishing?
- Do Schools Help Students Explore Their Creativity?
- Is Taking Adderall to Study Unfair?
- Gets the Internet Made College Education Unnecessary?
- Can it be Fair to guage a Students’ Potential by Their SAT Score?
- Are Certain Colleges Overrated Due to their Historical Significance?
- Should the Cost of College Depend on the Degree?
- Should Admissions Officers Read University Applicants’ Social media marketing Pages?
Argumentative Essay Topics by Category
We now have listed some topics from popular areas of research. Feel liberated to tackle any subject on the list - and sometimes even better - use this list as inspiration and find your topic of interest. If you'd like more guidance, we have countless essay writers online and ready to assist you.
Though some may find social networking a necessary part of daily life, the others struggle with procrastination as a result of. It has arguably influenced critical political decisions and it has made social networking a significant and relevant field of study.
- Does Instagram Make People More Narcissistic?
- Why Are Women's Nipples Banned in Social Media?
- Is Fake News Dangerous?
- Must Social Media Play a Role in Education?
- How Should Social networking Networks Tackle Online Bullying?
- Is Anonymous Social Media Dangerous?
- Is Proper Punctuation Important on Social Media?
- Should Social Media Pay Users as a swap for Their Privacy?
- Should Companies Fire Clients Over Inappropriate Social networking Behavior?
- Should There Be a ‘Dislike’ Button on Facebook?
TV, Movies, Video Games
Hollywood produces loads of content. It really is no surprise a large number of it don’t undergo extensive evaluation before release. This results in students questioning the industry’s promotion of harmful stereotypes. Here you'll find plenty of unique essay topics.
- Do Hollywood Movies Romanticize Sexual Harassment?
- Does American TV Capture the Country's Diversity?
- Should cybersports be considered sports?
- Does Violence in Video Games Cause Kids To Be Violent?
- Is the Gaming World Sexist?
- What Makes a Good Children’s Cartoon?
- Do Hollywood FIlms Promote a particular Set of Values?
- Can Good Commercials Be Considered Works of Art?
- Why Are There So Few Female Film-Makers?
Music, Literature, Art
Has digitization degraded music right into a mere type of entertainment? Music argumentative essay topics have plenty of room for discussion. They touch on problems of authenticity which can also be relevant in the fields of literature and art.
- Modern Pop Music Is Recyclable — Does That Make It Good or Bad?
- In Music — When Does ‘Borrowing’ Become ‘Stealing’?
- Should Explicit Language in Classic Literature Be Filtered Like Explicit Language in Pop Song Lyrics?
- Should We Consider Banksy as an Artist?
- Are Libraries Still Necessary?
- Does Rap Count as Music?
- Is Graffiti An Art?
- Is It Right to Display Art in Public Places?
- Should Society Support Aspiring Artists?
- Is Modern Art Timeless?
- Are Mark Rothko Paintings Worth Their Cost?
Health Argumentative Essay Topics
Abstaining from eating sugar or drinking alcohol can feel like an important accomplishment. Many people find great pride in living a healthier lifestyle. On the web health blogs and web stores make the most of this trend, so let us check out medical care argumentative essay topics.
- Are Anti-Smoking Ads Effective or Too Disturbing?
- Should Universities Penalize Students for Drinking?
- Is 21 a Fair Drinking Age?
- Should Government Review Nutritional Recommendations and Menu Compositions for School Feeding Programs?
- Are Models Abnormally Skinny?
- Should Government Regulate Sugar in Sugary Products and services?
Science and Technology
Space exploration has historically generated significant developments in technology. Did you know that velcro and microwaves were invented during the Moon Landing programs? Here are some science and technology argumentative essay topics strongly related daily life.
- Is Human Chipping an Absurd Concept?
- How Concerned Should We Be About Climate Change?
- If the Development of Nuclear Weapons Be Outlawed Internationally?
- Is It Ethical to Slow Aging with Science?
- Manipulating the Human Body With Technology — When Can it be Okay?
Animal testing has led to many developments in fields such as for example medicine and cosmetics. But this method is frequently questioned from the moral viewpoint. Argumentative essays about animals and their rights touch on various ethical problems.
- Ethical Questions Concerning Genetically Engineered Animals.
- Should Animal Rights Issues Apply to Insects?
- Should Animal Zoos Be Upgraded or Outlawed?
- Argue for or Against Banning Animals in Circuses.
- Are Safari Parks Better Than Zoos?
- Ethical Questions Concerning Altering Animals or Bugs with Technology.
Argumentative writing and speech are necessary skills to produce if you’re determined to help keep the balance in this tumultuous world. Dilemmas of poverty, democracy, infrastructure, foreign policy are one of the most discussed in the field. In our times, it would be specially relevant to look into argumentative essay topics on immigration.
- What Do Countries Owe Their Veterans?
- Which are the Moral Obligations of Political Leaders?
- Does the American Voting System Need to Be Altered?
- Should Rich People Pay More Taxes?
- Should Prostitution Be Legal?
- Do you know the Responsibilities of Global Leaders When It Comes To the Refugee Crisis?
Funny Argumentative Essay Topics
The purpose of the exercise is always to practice persuasive writing — therefore it is not required to write about something fun. However , let’s face it — several of those topics may be pretty dull to research. An answer would be selecting a borderline humorous topic to light up the mood of one's readers or audience. Here are a few funny argumentative essay topics that will get your audience hooked merely out of curiosity.
- The way the Simpsons Illustrate a Typical American Family.
- Does the World Need Superheroes?
- Why Are People Obsessed with Funny Cats Videos?
- Who Would Win In a Fight — Batman or Iron Man?