A Complete Guide to Writing a Top-Notch Gun Get a grip on Essay
For several years, gun possession and get a handle on have been prominent and largely discussed topics in many countries across the world. This topic is easily debatable as there are numerous controversial opinions in regards to it, and this is precisely why this topic is really good for writing an essay.
Because of the complexity and worldwide importance of this subject, many students are facing the necessity to write a gun get a grip on essay. How will you do it right and obtain an excellent grade? In this article, you will discover a comprehensive guide with a lot of handy guidelines to show you.
Gun Control Definition
Therefore you were assigned to write an essay about gun get a handle on. Where in case you start? Above all, it is vital to make certain you understand the thought of gun get a handle on pretty obviously before you can shape your opinion on the situation and make any statements.
In summary, the term gun control describes a set of legal guidelines that get a handle on gun manufacturing, transfer, possession, use, as well as other related matters within a specific legislation.
The specific situation with gun control in many countries around the world is restrictive. Most legislations keep the possession and utilization of firearms under strict get a handle on, making gun possession a privilege—meaning that only limited groups of civilians are permitted to buy and use firearms.
Nevertheless , there are still some countries which have permissive gun control regimes. One of such countries could be the USA. As a result of country’s colonial history and pretty developed gun culture, people in many US areas are permitted to possess firearms. That’s why the debate about gun control is very profound and serious in the united states.
Now, the Second Amendment to the usa Constitution protects the civilians' firearms ownership rights, which regularly serves while the core argument against gun control laws in this country. Meanwhile, people who are pro gun get a handle on, claim that the best to possess and use firearms is not unlimited and that particular restrictions and proper procedures should be implemented to restrict specific categories of people and places to own them.
Debate Side Choice
In the first place, learn more about firearms regulations generally and find popular arguments for every side of the debate. Actually, in the centre of the dispute upon this subject, a philosophical question lies; if gun possession is a right or a privilege? And there are a great number of other questions that arise from this one which should be correctly regulated, including questions about: gun possession, manufacturing, use, trade, transfer, responsibility for misuse and etc .
Here are a few overall arguments of gun control proponents:
- firearms regulation laws reduce the quantity of gun deaths;
- most guns utilized in crimes were obtained officially and not from gun dealers (up to 90% in the USA);
- and possession of guns advances the number of firearm accidents and domestic violence.
Opponents could affect the following general ideas:
- possession of guns is the best method to insure self-defense;
- gun control wouldn't normally change any such thing, it will only increase the option of guns through the black market;
- and education on guns and gun safety will be more effective than increased firearms regulation.
Some individuals think that the quantity of arguments on the side makes their position stronger, but what really matters may be the quality of these arguments. The higher the argument is, the harder it'll be to challenge it. Therefore , what is a good, strong argument? Firstly, it requires to be clearly stated and clear to see. Secondly, a solid argument is backed with evidence and facts, instead of emotions. Thirdly, it should be predicated on reliable sources and contain resource links if your argument is for an essay. Let’s take a look at some strong and weak argument examples:
Strong argument: The people of america is 319 million people and how many firearms owned by Us residents is 371 million [resource link]—in fact, you will find more guns than people.
Weak argument: There are more guns than people in the USA.
Strong argument: The analysis conducted in Israel this year shows that the restriction of access to guns decreased suicide rates by 40%.
Weak argument: Many respected reports show connection between gun control and decrease of suicide rates.
Gun Control Essay Types
There are many types of gun control essays that students can be confronted with writing. Each kind of paper has certain distinctive features and peculiarities, which is why it is very important to start to see the differences in order to handle this.
Let’s take a closer look at the main essay types and their differences:
- Argumentative essay – this type of paper implies supporting your position with strong arguments. Writing this sort of essay requires conducting thorough research and collecting arguments from reliable sources and analyzing them.
- cause and effect essay – this implies describing the causes and outcomes of something. Regarding gun get a grip on, a student may take a specific law, or event related to this issue, and highlight the cause and effect relationship of that law or event.
- Definition essay – as the name suggests, this sort of paper aims to define a problem or term to make it clear to see for the reader(s).
- Expository essay – this type of paper requires conducting deeper research and exposing facts. You will need to find a deeper problem linked to the topic and reveal the problem to a reader. For example (in regards to gun control in particular), you might examine the way the government profits on gun control debates.
- Persuasive essay – this type of paper has to convince readers of something by appealing to facts, logic, or emotions.
- Reflection essay – this type of paper requires its writer to reflect on his/her personal opinion or thoughts regarding their unique topic.
- Annotated Bibliography essay – this kind of paper strives to research, analyze, and summarise the available resources (such as books, journals, news reports, and so forth ) on a specific matter.
Now, let's have a closer look at two most common types.
Persuasive Essay on Gun Control
A persuasive essay is one of the most frequent types of this assignment. Whilst the name suggests, the main goal of this paper is to persuade the reader(s) of something and to cause them to become support your thinking. Thus, the key goal of the composer of a persuasive essay is always to sound credible and support his/her claims with valid arguments.
Just how to write a good persuasive essay on gun get a handle on – to start with, there are three key pillars of persuasive writing to bear in mind:
- Ethos – suggests that a writer provides credibility with the use of valid facts and using trusted external resources.
- Logos – suggests that a writer helps readers to know his/her a few ideas using logic and by clearly stating why something is good or bad.
- Pathos – suggests that a writer attracts the emotions of readers to persuade them of something, for instance by making them feel shock or empathy.
Choose an approach you like most. Then, with the help of solid arguments, logic, or emotion you will be able to construct credibility and make your essay undoubtedly persuasive.
Argumentative Essay on Gun Control
Yet another common kind of task can be an argumentative essay. As it is possible to already comprehend from its name, the primary purpose of this type of paper would be to provide arguments for or against a specific matter. Unlike a persuasive paper, writing an argumentative essay doesn’t require you to convince the reader(s) of your viewpoint. Still, it really is one of the most difficult types of papers there are as there are several various kinds of argumentation:
- Classic Argumentation. This kind of argumentation implies using a five-discourse style of writing that contains an Introduction, Narration, Confirmation (by providing valid facts from external resources), Concession and Refutation (that serve to reveal two sides of a debate), and Conclusion.
- Toulmin’s Argumentation. This model of argumentation implies that you have ground or data for claims that are straight away supported by trusted materials (for example, news reports, academic resources, support arguments, etc . ).
- Rogerian Argumentation. This sort of argumentation implies studying claims from both sides of the problem with the goal of finding common points and reaching a mutual understanding. When writing an argumentative essay on gun control topics, this style of argumentation is among the best approaches you can choose.
To publish a flawless argumentative essay on gun control, you'll need to choose a form of argumentation you like most.
In addition , you need to obtain the right topic. If you were assigned to publish an argumentative essay about gun get a handle on, choosing a topic can be a extra difficult. Below are a few ideas to allow you to shape a powerful gun get a handle on argumentative essay thesis:
- Gun control laws vs . Crime level: does one really affect another?
- Why stricter gun limitations won't help reduce mass shootings
- Has gun control helped decrease crime in the US?
- Gun limitation laws have to be stricter
- Does gun get a grip on leave people unable to defend themselves?
Next, you have to conduct thorough research to gather enough arguments to get your thesis. Then, organize the collected data in a detailed gun control argumentative essay outline to simplify the process of writing. Once you've all of the arguments and an overview, all you need to accomplish is to write your paper while following your previously written plan. To finish up, polish it up by proofreading and editing.
How to Choose a Good Gun Control Topic
Picking out a topic is amongst the first steps you should simply take before rushing into writing your paper. Still, it may be quite hard to make the mind up and make the best choice.
Many students make a big mistake during this period – they pick topics thoughtlessly with no prior research. At precisely the same time, they pick something very broad which is hard to reveal in a quick essay like “why gun control is good facts” or “why gun get a handle on is good 2020”.
Here's something to keep in mind – gun control can be an extensive and global matter. There are many aspects to it which make it impossible to cover every thing in a single paper. Therefore , we advise you to choose a more narrowed and more specific related topic to have the capability to go deeper into it as you write the essay.
Here key faculties for a good essay topic to bear in mind:
- Importance – regardless of the kind of essay you're writing, it is very important to focus on essential and relevant subject matter.
- Engagement – a great topic should be engaging both for you personally and your readers.
- Size – a good topic ought to be just the right size for along your paper. It is vital to make sure that you will not have an excessive amount of or inadequate to say on the opted for topic for the given number of words/pages.
- Precision – a good topic should really be accurate and specific. Like the topic “Reasons why gun control is good” is too broad, whereas this issue “Stricter gun control laws in the USA can minimize social risks” is more specific.
- Relevance to your thesis – it is vital to make sure your chosen topic is in-line with your thesis. For example , if you should be going to give attention to the facts why gun get a handle on is good in your paper, your topic must also be pro gun get a handle on.
- Debatable – a good topic ought to be controversial—meaning that there should be both arguments for and against it. You will have to study both sides of the matter. These are firearm laws in particular, you're going to have to study the good and bad reasons for gun get a handle on.
Now, once you have the typical idea of do the following to pick a good topic, let’s look at some engaging topic examples!
Pro-Gun Control Essay Topics
- Why gun get a grip on laws are good: Stricter regulations reduce gun related deaths
- The availability of firearms for sale advances the number of domestic violence cases
- Stricter gun control laws will help minimize crime
- Gun possession promotes youth violence
- Does the accessibility of guns affect youth suicides?
Anti-Gun Control Essay Topics
- Against gun get a handle on facts: it’s not guns who kill, it’s people
- Top 5 arguments against gun control
- Gun possession may be the most effective way to make sure one’s safety
- Strong arguments against gun get a handle on: stricter gun control laws will stimulate the growth of the black market and illegal weapons trade
- What's hidden beneath the cover of gun get a grip on debates
Writing an essay on gun control could be rather challenging. However , once you learn how to organize the process right, you will be able to take care of this task easily!
To acquire on the right track, below are a few of the most effective tips for writing a brilliant essay:
The higher your choice of topic is, the simpler it will be to take care of writing. A good topic is relevant, essential, and engaging. It is not too broad, but, at the same time, will encompass enough scope of information to reveal in a paper. Earlier in the day in this article, we shared some tips on how to select a good topic, so follow them to have success.
After you have all of your arguments on why gun get a handle on is good or bad, and you have defined your own personal position on the matter, produce a short, but effective thesis statement that informs your reader(s) about your position and provides them insight into the main topic of the paper. Here are two examples of a thesis statement:
Example of a weak thesis statement: Gun control doesn’t affect the criminal situation. (Not specific enough, lacks grounding)
Example of a strong thesis statement: In line with the official homicide rates in the usa states with different quantities of strictness for firearms laws, there is no correlation between gun control and rates of homicides. (More accurate, specific, and centered on facts)
In-depth research about them matter may be the halfway mark to success. Thus, ensure that you organize your quest right, use trusted sources, and don’t forget to take notes throughout your research.
To produce your essay on gun control look really impressive, you need to offer strong supporting arguments. And also to choose strong arguments, you must know what counter-arguments are there. Ergo, be sure to study the arguments from both sides.
Good argument for gun control: Loose regulations and wide access to guns in the USA cause more than 39, 000 gun-related deaths yearly.
Good argument against gun control: In Massachusetts, where gun laws are extremely strict, the homicide rate is 2. 0; whereas in South Dakota, where the laws are permissive, this rate is just 1 . 4. Therefore , we could see that there's absolutely no direct connection between gun control and violence.
Although a lot of students may possibly skip this, writing a plan is vital for creating a top-notch essay. In the event that you create a thorough outline that consists of a gun control essay introduction, a principal body with key a few ideas and arguments, and a conclusion, it helps you make the writing process easier. Also, a plan helps ensure that you provide claims and arguments in a logical sequence.
Here is a sample gun control essay outline:
- Back ground information: How many people who own firearms in the usa keeps growing rapidly. At the same time, how many gun-related mortalities in the country remains very high (73%) compared to other countries. These statistics would be the cause of increasingly more debates going on in regards to the topic of gun get a handle on.
- Thesis statement: Stricter gun get a handle on laws in the usa will not prevent crimes and violence.
- First Body Paragraph
- Main point: Gun possession does not have any effect on violence.
- Supporting arguments/facts/statistics/examples.
- Second Body Paragraph (Counter Argument)
- Main point: The high rate of gun-related deaths in the US is caused by loose gun regulations.
- Supporting arguments/facts/statistics/examples.
- Counter arguments in support of your thesis
- Third Body Paragraph
- Main point: Gun ownership is an effectual way of self-defense.
- Supporting arguments/facts/statistics/examples.
- Summary of the main points
- Restated thesis
Regardless of type of essay you are writing, it is not a good idea to stay in the midst of the debate. You need to take a specific position and ensure that you’ve defined it clearly.
Most types of essays imply that you'll need to provide arguments that support your ideas. This is the way you build credibility and, thus, it's important to choose valid and strong arguments.
So how exactly does one do that? Let’s look at a few of the most popular questions related to this topic and ideas on how best to reflect upon them in your paper:
- What role does gun possession play in self-defense? – Provide statistical data, facts, and real-life examples of how legal guns are used for self-defense.
- Just how to stop mass shootings without gun get a handle on – If there are any real studies or past research upon this matter, make sure you provide some insights in to them.
- Just how many Americans want gun get a grip on? – Provide official statistical data (if available) or conduct your personal survey to get the answer.
- Exactly how many countries have gun get a handle on laws? – Find reliable resources, such as for instance government sites, and study the legal sides of the matter.
- How have gun control laws changed society? – Share real-life examples from different countries and communities to aid your ideas.
By sharing facts and statistical data you make your essay look more valid. However , don’t include way too many arguments in order not to confuse your reader(s). Instead of providing many facts, pick many of the strongest and most valid ones you'll find!
A conclusion can be an important part of every essay. It does not have to be too long, nonetheless it has to be clear and logical. In a nutshell, a conclusion is really a short message that finalizes everything that was said in the paper and restates your thesis. It is the conclusion that makes your final and lasting impression on the readers. Thus, pay special focus on this section of your paper.
Finally, writing a fantastic essay on gun get a handle on requires careful proofreading and editing. Don’t neglect these steps should you want to deliver a really great paper!
Whether you have now been assigned to publish a gun control research paper or essay, the tips provided above should help you grasp the general concept of how to handle this task. Now, to give you a level better comprehension of the task and set you on the right track, below are a few excellent samples of well-written papers on this topic: